Monday, August 15, 2011

Sweet Sanctuary by Sheila Walsh and Cindy Martinusen Coloma

This is a great story about forgiveness. As children Wren, Barb, and Jack go through a life changing event. I like how Sheila and Cindy take us through “family drama.” It was gentle but firm. This is very relatable as there are no “perfect families.” We all have issues with those we love. The big question is can Barb, Wren, and Jack make peace with each other and the past? Each of them has dealt with the situation differently. This books focus is on Wren and her son Charlie, so you are getting much more from her point of view. I think this is a great way for us to think about our own “family history” and see if there is anything God wants us to deal with.

This book has been chosen as a Women of Faith fiction selection. I am happy to give this book a five star rating.

I received this book free from the publisher through the I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

Monday, August 8, 2011

Too Blessed to be Stressed by Debora M. Coty

I love the layout of this book!

The author has four sections where she shares her stress relief.

-Time Management
-Develop a Sense of Humor
-Cultivate Relationships
-Focus on Faith

There is a scripture verse for each chapter with a closing quote from various people. There is a time for reflection in her “Let’s Decom-Stress.” This makes for a great devotional, small group study, or one-on-one mentoring.

I did find two chapters to be a bit offensive and felt the author had a lack of experience on the topic she was writing.

The chapter on Nutrition I could spend hours on how much I don’t like this chapter. I felt the opening verse was taken out of context! Yes, I did look it up in four other versions! George Bernard Shaw’s quote at the end of the chapter was way off and totally offensive! This whole chapter needs to be removed or rewritten!

The chapter on Physical Maintenance I felt that once she stated she was “going to be technical” she no longer talked “to us” but “at us.” Physical Maintenance has not much to do with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Tennis Elbow or Golfers Elbow. Physical Maintenance isn’t just simple stretching exercises.

For this reason I will give this book a three star rating. I did recieve a free copy of this book for review from Litfuse.

Debora has created a “Too Blessed” prize package worth over $150! One grand prize winner will receive:

* A brand new Latest Generation KINDLE with Wi-Fi and Pearl Screen
* Too Blessed to Be Stressed by Debora Coty (for KINDLE)

To enter just click one of the icons below. Hurry! The giveaway ends August 25th. Winner will be announced on the evening of the 18th during Debora's De-Stress Facebook Party! Debora will be hosting a "life-preserver" chat (it’s okay if you haven’t read the book – who knows, you might WIN a copy!), testing trivia skills, swapping funny stories, handing out some decom-stress tips, and giving away tons of great stuff! (Chocolate, books, and more!) Hope to see you there. Bring your friends and join the fun on August 25th at 5:00 PM PST (6 PM MDT, 7 PM CDT, & 8 PM EDT).

Monday, August 1, 2011

Courageous by Randy Alcorn

I must disclose that on page 364 Randy states “About 20% of the book comes directly from the movie; the other 80% I had to invent to make this into a novel.”


I LOVE! LOVE! LOVE the book♥. Yes, I am looking forward to watching the movie but the book covers sooo much more than the movie can. This will be an awesome tool for anyone working with youth or just have teenagers in their life. The book is centered around four law enforcement officers whose biggest challenge is fatherhood.

The amount of topics covered in this book is amazing!

Gangs, Violence, Drugs, Alcohol, Guns, Teen Sex, Dating, etc.
Abortion, Infertility, Adoption
Restoring Relationships
Accountability for Men

I am very impressed with the “Resolution” and I really pray that the men will get behind this and use this as a tool for being the father that God has created them to be.

Can these men face the challenge of fatherhood?

I am thrilled to give this book a five star rating.

Book disclaimer: Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Watch a Trailer to the movie Courageous!