Friday, May 6, 2011

SMALL is big! by Tony & Felicity Dale with George Barna


Defining “church” would be a good summary of this book. I was not expecting the book to go in the direction that it did and was pleasantly surprised by it.  I must admit that I have been in the midst of taking a “break” from my “legacy” church. I had just gotten to the point of overload and was in desperate need of a break, so I have been home on Sundays while the family is at “church.”
I appreciate how Tony & Felicity explain the “simple” church concept. In chapter 4 they share some things that I can totally relate to as this explains why I have taken a “break” from my church.                     
 Those who are leaving the church are not necessarily immature in their faith. Many have had a long-standing walk with the Lord and have been in church leadership. They are not leaving because they have lost faith. They are leaving the church to preserve their faith. The result is “church outside the box,” a small gathering of friends loving Jesus together and reaching out to the community around them. They have freedom from church politics, from a need to “perform,” and from we-have-always-done-it-this-way tradition. In simple church, we no longer struggle to please people but are now free to march to the Holy Spirit’s drumbeat. Liberated from endless meetings, we have time to get involved in our communities and to reach out to a world that so desperately needs the Lord.”
Tony & Felicity are the first to say that the “simple” church is not for everyone –especially those already in a “legacy” church. They are looking for not-yet-saved people. On many levels I think this makes it easier to reach not-yet-saved people as they don’t have preconceived expectations of “church.” I can see how this would be a great way to reach those that would “never” go to a “traditional” church.
I am pleased to give this book a five star rating.

Book disclaimer: Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or ARC.

No comments:

Post a Comment